20 March 2009

Bread

Today, I made bread for a ward preparedness thingey. From scratch. That's right: I mixed together flour, oil and yeast and stuff and out of the oven will pop warm delicious bread. At least that's the plan. I won't know for about another hour and a half ... it's gotta rise and bake first, of course. For the overly-curious, here's a play-by-play of the process:

2:30 - Put Robbie down for his nap and continue working
2:45 - Go downstairs to see why Robbie's been trying for the past 10 min (didn't want nap time)
3:00 - Initiate bread-making process
3:05 - Realize I have no bread pans in which to bake bread
3:06 - Realize this is a problem
3:06 - Begin traversal of neighbor calling tree to locate bread pans
3:07 - Forget to dial 801 before the number of my next door neighbor, Mike
3:08 - Successfully place call to neighbor
3:08 - Neighbor #1 has bread pans. That was quick. (Thanks Mike)
3:15 - Return from neighbor's house with bread pans and a wee bit more bread-making knowledge (thanks Mike) in hand and head
3:16 - Begin mixing ingredients together
3:20 - Robbie finally stops crying and is (presumably) asleep
3:30 - Place bread in bread pans (thanks Mike) then place bread pans in warm oven (thanks for the tip, Mike)
3:30 - Begin recommended 45 min wait for dough to rise.
4:30 - How do you tell whether bread has risen?
5:00 - That looks good, I guess. Start to bake.
5:01 - Hope for the best.
5:45 - Done cooking. Looks surprisingly bread-like
6:00 - Done cooling. Tastes surprisingly bread-like

So there. I hope you're happy after having read that. I am so happy with the outcome of this experience, I may even do it again.

1 comment:

Taylor said...

that was very entertaining to read, ha.